Tuesday 29 May 2007

The Wrong Socks

I do think this race was destined to be doomed. With my shins splints being only slightly annoying and my training runs going well I was feeling OK with a little trepidation. However the weather forecast for the weekend was wet, with wet, with a lashing of wet. I did feel that my long standing record of running over 20 races in the past 2 years without getting wet was about to be smashed.

On awaking that morning I realised I had forgotten my running socks, and so I had to borrow my husbands socks. Unfortunately these were very think and not really designed for long distance running. What was I to do?

I tipped up at the Brandon Forest Half-Marathon, realising that there was nothing there and the toilets where a 10 minute drive up the road (should have looked at the race info). As I was very early I headed to the toilets and stayed there for sometime before heading back to the race.

As to be expected on arrival at the start of the race I needed the toilet, so off in to the woods I roam. However the woods in this area are very sparse with tall trees surrounded by fern, so the cover was not that good. Despite this I did find a spot and had to do that very embarrising act of trying to squat down whilst simultaneously going to the toilet and trying to ensure I was not spotted.

I returned to the start of the race and at 10:30 we were off. It went well considering I put in a respectable 1:42:22 which considering that at one point the rain was horizontal and the wind was appalling and I had the wrong socks on, I was quite happy with this.

No comments: